Jul 17, 2024  
2024-2025 Academic Catalog 
2024-2025 Academic Catalog

Admission Requirements


Admission to Northwest State Community College is open to any high school graduate or holder of a high school equivalency statement (GED). A final, official high school transcript or GED should be presented at the time of application.

Official Transcripts:

  • Are sent directly to Northwest State Community College in a sealed envelope
  • Include an official signature of the appropriate official at your institution

Unofficial Transcripts:

  • Have been opened by the student
  • Is not an original copy of the document (photocopy)

Some programs may have additional admission requirements including an application and appropriate GPA. 

Northwest State Community College reserves the right to check with the high school to confirm the validity of a student’s diploma and confirm with the relevant department or agency in the state in which the secondary school is located that the secondary school is recognized as a producer of secondary school education.

All incoming students with no prior college experience are required to take the ACCUPLACER Assessment, or submit ACT scores, for course placement prior to enrolling in college-level courses.

Students are not required to meet with an admissions recruiter before enrolling at NSCC, but you may find it helpful. A recruiter can suggest opportunities at the College, explain entrance requirements and answer any questions you may have about reaching your career goals. Students are encouraged to apply at least one semester prior to their intended start date.

International Student Requirements

Before Northwest State can process an international student’s application for admission and issue an 1-20, the following documents are necessary:

  1. A completed Northwest State Community College application for admission.
  2. A certified true copy of a student’s complete secondary school record, translated into English.
  3. A certified true copy of any college or university studies the student may have completed, translated into English and course evaluation. If you would like to request transfer credit for courses completed overseas, you must have transcripts evaluated by a professional evaluation company like http://www.WES.org. Only original, unopened evaluations will be accepted.
  4. A photo copy of the student’s VISA/PASSPORT and/or residency card and the 1-94.
  5. All international students wishing to transfer to NSCC from another U.S. institution must prove to be in good standing and have maintained a cumulative GPA of 2.00 at the previous institution before acceptance to NSCC will be granted.
  6. Proof of competency in English language usage - The student must have TOEFL PBT scores of 550 or higher, or TOFEL computer based score of 173 or higher, or TOEFL iBT of 70 or higher. TOEFL scores should be submitted directly to the Admissions Office. ACCUPLACER and computer assessments are required once the student arrives at Northwest State.
  7. A certified statement of financial stability by a banking institution official which gives proof of the student’s assets from parents, relatives, guardians or the student. Proof of personal responsibility for the student must accompany the banking institution statement of financial stability. All financial statements must be converted into American dollars before submission to the College.
  8. After the above has been completed, and if the student has been accepted by Northwest State Community College, a deposit of one year’s tuition plus book allowance ($13,610) must be sent to the college before an 1-20 will be issued.
    An additional $3,000 should be brought for spending money upon entering the United States.

The complete international student policy and required forms can be found on line at NorthwestState.edu/apply-now#international or in the Admissions Office.

Course Placement (ACCUPLACER/ACT)

Prior to registration, all degree or certificate seeking students should be evaluated or show evidence of successful completion of college-level coursework in math, reading and English through ACT scores or the ACCUPLACER Assessment. An appointment is required for the ACCUPLACER Assessment. Contact the Admissions Office at (419) 267-1320 or go online to NorthwestState.edu/accuplacer to schedule an assessment.

Students who receive a score of 8 or higher on the WritePlacer portion of the ACCUPLACER Assessment may choose to submit a writing sample to qualify for placement into ENG 112 - Composition II . The writing sample will be reviewed by full-time faculty members in the English department. If approved, the testing coordinator will notify the student of the following placement options available to them:

  • Take ENG 111  and ENG 112 , or
  • Take ENG 112  and another writing intensive ENG course. The second writing course will be substituted for ENG 111 , but cannot be used to meet a Humanities requirement. The approved list of writing courses is maintained by the Dean of Arts & Sciences.

ACCUPLACER Assessment Retesting

  1. Students may have one retest using either an alternate form of the ACCUPLACER Assessment or a Departmental Proficiency Test (but not both). College Credit Plus students may have one retest per year.
  2. There must be at least a one month waiting period between testing dates involving a Departmental Proficiency test only.
  3. Placement test results are valid for three years. After three years, retesting is recommended.
  4. Students may choose to retake the entire ACCUPLACER Assessment or choose specific sub-tests for retesting.

College Math Proficiency Policy

All associate degree programs offered at Northwest State Community College require completion of a college-level mathematics course (i.e., not developmental or remedial). All one-year certificate programs offered at Northwest State Community College require graduates to demonstrate a minimum math proficiency at the level of MTH 080 - Review of Beginning Algebra , or MTH 085 - Math Literacy . Proficiency can be demonstrated on the placement test at the time of entry, by passing a proficiency test, by successfully passing the course MTH 080 - Review of Beginning Algebra  or MTH 085 - Math Literacy , or by being a recent high school graduate (within the last six years) and have taken two (2) or more high school algebra courses (not including any pre-algebra or geometry courses) with grades of “C” or better in each semester.

Student Orientation

Orientation is a required for new certificate or degree seeking students at Northwest State Community College. Orientation is an online program that is completed prior to registering for classes the first semester. For questions about orientation please call (419) 267-1320 or email Admissions@NorthwestState.edu.

Academic Advisors

To provide equality of access to advising services, all new and transfer learners are required to participate in mandatory academic advising before registering for their first semester of classes. Academic advisors assist learners in developing personalized educational career pathways and resolving academic and non-academic barriers. Additionally, they provide wraparound holistic support to learners during key decision-making times on their educational journeys. To connect with an academic advisor, please contact the Advising Center at (419) 267-1390 or via email at advising@northweststate.edu.

Classification of Students

Applicants for admission to the College may elect one of the following student classifications:

Certificate Seeking Student

A student who has indicated, at the time of application, the intent to study toward a short-term or one-year certificate program and who has fulfilled all admission requirements.

Degree Seeking Student

A student who has indicated, at the time of application, the intent to study toward an associate degree and who has fulfilled all admission requirements.

Early Admit Student

A high school student who has been recommended by his/her guidance counselor or principal to take college courses for credit.

College Credit Plus Student

The State of Ohio allows area students attending public school (must reside in Ohio) to enroll in college-level coursework prior to graduation from high school under the College Credit Plus Program. Students in grades 7-12 who test into college-level coursework with their ACT or ACCUPLACER scores may enroll in college classes concurrently with secondary school enrollment. This program allows qualified students to earn college credit, or both high school and college credit. Secondary grade students in a nonpublic school or home-instructed may participate in the College Credit Plus program if the chief administrator of such the non-public school or the parent notifies the Ohio Department of Education by the first day of April prior to the school year in which the school’s students will participate.

The student enrolling in College Credit Plus is not responsible for paying tuition, fees or textbook charges. Students may enroll in any semester including summer, for a maximum of 30 credits per academic year. Students exceeding the 30 credit hour limit will have the option to self-pay.

Guest/Transient Student

A student who is attending another institution of higher education and enters NSCC for specific courses which have been approved in writing by the other institution’s vice president or registrar.

International Student

A student from another country who has met the requirements of the Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) as well as the requirements of NSCC. An international student must meet with an admissions representative before being admitted.

Non-Degree Student

A student who has indicated, at the time of application, the intent to pursue selected courses (i.e. personal enrichment).

Transfer Student

Either a “degree” or “non-degree” student who has indicated, at the time of application, the interest to transfer selected general studies courses or a full degree program to a four-year bachelor’s degree program.